jueves, diciembre 30, 2004

Interesting glimpse into the mind of a woman ...

Out of the blue, I asked Ms N what her dress size was the other day. She was obviously not expecting the question and certainly not wanting to answer. I let her squirm a bit before relieving her of any obligation to provide the requested information. In that time, however, she noted that “you never ask a woman her dress size or her weight.”

Personally, I would like to think that if I happened upon a dress or a coat or something that I liked – not that I happen upon these items that often, they are not normally sold where I shop – I could buy it for her as a surprise gift sometime.

-- Guys out there take note --
Guessing wrong with garments is hazardous. Guess too large and she suddenly thinks she looks grotesque, guess to small and she suddenly feels it. Taking her shopping ruins the surprise aspect of it and giving a gift certificate means that who knows what she’ll come back with. Granted, even if you have the right size the outfit could be cut in such a way that it does not produce the desired flattering look, so there is a chance it will be returned. But at least you get that one moment where she is a) happy that you thought of her and b) tries it on for you. She can always return it (gift receipts are a must!) and pick out something that better fits or suits her (hopefully remembering the spirit of the look you chose) if she so chooses, but you’ve at least had that moment.
-- OK, back to the issue at hand --

I wanted a tidbit of information to keep in my little personal mental file so that later on, when she is not thinking of it, I could surprise her with a nice gift. That plan is now on hold for the foreseeable future, unless I do something sneaky like check out her closet next time I’m in Baltimore.

(Just FYI, Ms N, I am 6 foot 2, 267 pounds last time I checked, 42x32 pant (relaxed fit – I have some junk in the trunk), generally at least an XXL shirt or, if it’s a nice shirt, 18.5 inch neck and 36 inch arms.)

My question went unanswered and, despite its non-judgmental nature, provided an uncomfortable moment where she felt she was being judged. (Obviously if the relationship continues we will become knowledgeable of each other’s most intimate details – many of which might find there ways onto these blogs should the relationship ever discontinue at some later time – but for now that data remains her little secret.)

Incidentally, she had no problem sharing her ring size.
Bling-bling.

9 Comments:

Blogger DivineMsN said...

You are lucky that I am in Baltimore otherwise I would put a hurting on ya :P Yes, I have body issues as many women do. Thanks for the thought though you are very sweet.

And keep away from my closets!

FYI: I wear between a 8.5 and a 9 in shoes (depending on the designer). :)

12/30/2004 12:22 p. m.  
Blogger Kev said...

But that try-on moment isn't nearly as enjoyable with shoes.

Don't worry. I will not let you find out that I've been through your closets.

12/30/2004 1:11 p. m.  
Blogger Eliza said...

Boy, haven't I taught you anything?!? Looks like you need to spend another day in remedial wooing 101.

12/30/2004 3:02 p. m.  
Blogger DivineMsN said...

No remediation needed, Kev gets an A for effort.

12/30/2004 7:05 p. m.  
Blogger Kev said...

Do I get a gold star sticker, too? Or is that just asking too much?

12/30/2004 7:43 p. m.  
Blogger DivineMsN said...

I will see what I can find in my sticker collection. :P

12/30/2004 8:12 p. m.  
Blogger Jeff said...

Gold sticker from me, for not being intimidated by questions that MUST be asked. I say, if you've seen her naked, there is nothing she can reveal to you by admitting her dress size that you don't already know from visual inspection... all she can do is make things easier for both of you by a) allowing you to shop for her, and b) not having to hide a (not-so-) secret. No matter what Eliza says, you're correct to ask at this point.

12/31/2004 10:48 a. m.  
Blogger Eliza said...

So tell me Roger, are you single? Just a hunch....

12/31/2004 1:47 p. m.  
Blogger Jeff said...

Depends on how you define 'single'. I was married for 10 years, but just got divorced last year. I'm deeply involved with a wonderful woman right now, so I'm not on the market... I do know her dress size, she told me when I asked her.

12/31/2004 2:17 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home