miércoles, diciembre 29, 2004

J! E! T! S! Just End The Season!

Having been a fan of both football and New York since grade school, I obviously pay attention to the fortunes – or misfortunes, as is more often the case – of the two teams that represent Gotham in the NFL. The Giants are my team. I own 3 jerseys, a coat, a Shockey bobble-head doll (fitting, as every time he makes a catch he likes he gets up and bobbles his head) (put into verb form, that sounds like a euphemism for something completely different), a musical Giants football, a towel, a mug, a shot glass, a sports bottle, a hat, a tie, 2 drinking glasses, and a T-shirt, plus I subscribe to the team magazine and I am on the season ticket wait-list at Giants Stadium. Ms N, observant girl that she is, noticed my affinity for the team and got me a very nice Giants fleece pullover and Shockey action figure (thank you again, cariña!). I have also been to 5 Giants games (all against the Eagles and four were victories for Big Blue). I think I’ve made my point.

However, in seasons such as this when the wins are few and the losses many, it’s nice to know that the emergency backup New York football team is playing competitively. The Jest, er, um, Jets have as many wins as the Giants have losses. They are even making a run at the playoffs. Three games this week affect the Jets’ playoff hopes and if any one of those games turns in the Jets’ favor, Gang Green is in. The other contenders for the playoffs, Denver and Buffalo, are playing against two of the top three teams in the AFC, teams that are a combined 26-4. Assuming no ties, mathematically speaking the Jets have a 7-to-1 chance of getting in. It’s almost a lock.

I have been a sports fan too long to believe in locks.

The Jets play the Rams. The Rams had a disappointing start, but they are playing in a disappointing division. They have a shot at the playoffs – perhaps even the division – with a win, they are out if they lose. The Rams effectively started their playoffs last week against the Eagles. The Rams have more to gain in this game, and that spells trouble for the Jets. The Jets are the better team and they are in with a win, or maybe with a loss. The Rams are out with a loss, but have been playing feisty. Edge Rams.

The Broncos play the Colts. Last year this game and the playoff rematch were great. This year Indy is locked into the 3 spot and has nothing to gain from winning this game. A loss costs Indy nothing. A critical Indy injury, however, could cost them the Super Bowl. On the flip side, the Broncos are in with a win, or maybe a loss. Edge Broncos.

The Bills play the Steelers. The Steelers beat every team they’ve played this year except Baltimore in week 2. As a result, they have earned themselves the top seed. Again, nothing to gain, nothing to lose. The Bills, on the other hand, are in with a win if either the Jets or Broncos slip up. Besides, the Bills have been hot lately. Edge, Bills.

So the question is this … do the Jets rise to the occasion and carry the day, or at least does someone else foul up worse then they do? They have 7 chances to succeed, one to fail.

I have this sinking feeling that they will somehow defy the odds on Sunday.


5 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

Um, hello....the Giants are from NEW JERSEY. You should have asked Santa or your carina to give you a tri-state map for Christmas. They represent NY in name only, and they can't even get that right. GO BIRDS!!

Respectfully submitted,
The President of the Supreme Anti-Giants Association (aka SAGA)

12/29/2004 10:18 p. m.  
Blogger DivineMsN said...

I find it funny that we both had football postings on our blogs today. Hehehehe. I was going to get offended that there was no mention of me but I found it :)

Go birds! And by that I mean the Ravens :P

12/29/2004 10:45 p. m.  
Blogger Eliza said...

I got three words for you, Ms. N: FREE RAY LEWIS!!

12/29/2004 10:55 p. m.  
Blogger Kev said...

Need I remind you, Eliza, that Giants Stadium is closer to the heart of NYC than Yankee Stadium? A lot of teams play in the burbs yet still lay claim to the city name and are claimed by their respective cities. How about those Orchard Park Bills? Or the Irvine Cowboys? And hail to those Landover Redskins!

It's city, not state. Check around the city sometime. The teams are New York.

12/29/2004 11:38 p. m.  
Blogger Jeff said...

Go birds! Seahawks rule!

Oh, wait, I stopped following them years before I ever moved here. I mean, go BRONCOS!

12/31/2004 10:43 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home