martes, marzo 07, 2006

Customer Disservice Unappreciation Letter Number Two

Bad customer service abounds. Here is a letter I just sent off to Sears ...

March 7, 2006

Sears National Customer Relations
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a Sears credit card older for many years, but recently opted to cancel the card which I held jointly with my ex-wife since its inception. The actions of your company in general recently have left me befuddled to say the least, but in December you treated me to one of the most inept examples of customer service I have ever encountered. Though miniscule in and of itself, it was definitely the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.

In November of 2005, I contacted your customer service center regarding my anticipated balance for December. I had been paying down this account and this was to be the final payment. Since I was making payments three weeks ahead of the due date, my checks were written before your invoices were printed or interest calculated. I explained the situation to your representative and specifically told her that my intent was to remit an amount that would satisfy the account. I was told that if I were to send in $43.00 by December 15, the account would be satisfied.

I did; it wasn’t. The final balance, after interest, was $43.09.

I called your customer service line to see about getting the leftover nine cents removed from the account. This was an immaterial amount, especially considering the hefty finance fees you have levied in the past. Besides, I sent you the amount I was told to send. If the first representative had told me to send $50, I would have. I just wanted this to be done. Alas, your representative informed me that he was unable to credit my account. The nine pennies would have to be remitted, he said.

This was in the midst of the Christmas holiday shopping season. I ventured down to the Sears store at the Moorestown Mall, gave a cashier there thirty-six cents (to account for any additional interest you may have opted to apply to my still open account), and then promptly went other stores in the mall to buy gift items that I could have purchased in your store.

I have been a Sears customer for many years. While your prices haven’t always matched your competition in this area, you have been a convenient place to shop – especially since I had your card. Over the years I have spent thousands of dollars on Sears merchandise including car seats, clothing, toys, photos, tools, and appliances. Additionally, I have spent at least a thousand more on interest and finance fees. Now I get irritated just walking past your store. I can buy equal or better products elsewhere for equal or better prices; it was either loyalty, nostalgia, or perhaps inertia that brought me back into your store. You sacrificed that for nine pieces of copper. I am content with the notion of never buying from Sears again.

Perhaps you can use this example in future customer service training sessions. A better focus on customers may prevent future boneheaded decisions like these. Perhaps you could empower your customer service representatives to make decisions involving a dime or, dare I say, a quarter. I shouldn’t have to remind you how much cascading damage a single act of poor customer service can have. Not only have you sent my dollars into the waiting registers of your competitors, this tale has also made for wonderful water cooler conversation and I have a sneaking suspicion it’ll make its way out into the blogoshpere. It seems to me that the dime you saved cost you much more than that.

According to my final statement you owe me twenty-seven cents. Given the circumstances, I just can’t credit your account. I would like that amount refunded to me.

Sincerely,

Kevin E

Former customer and cardholder

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I'd love for you to get them to mail you a check for 27c... It would cost them 39c to mail it...

3/08/2006 8:26 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home