domingo, junio 18, 2006

A Happy Baby’s Daddy Day

Or babies’ daddy, in my case.

My kids are up visiting my folks, so this was my first Father’s Day without them. Insomuch as their mother likes to take “a day off” on Mother’s Day (because spending an entire night every week with your children can be oh, so tiring), I happen to prefer spending my Father’s Day with them. Last year was one of my best FD’s ever, and I didn’t ask them to do anything for me. I took the day last year to do things for them. We went to New York so Emily could go to the American Girl Store and Alex to We B Toys and, as an added bonus, there was a street fair on Sixth Avenue so we spent several hours checking out booths and just enjoying our day. It was quite the day.

So today the kids are up with my dad and brother. A few weeks back they asked me what I wanted from them for Father’s Day. I told them to make sure that Grandpa had a great Father’s Day. I just got off the phone with them – they said he slept all day. I asked if they woke him, they said no. “Perfect,” I said. “Remind him that you gave him the best Father’s Day present ever!”

Since kids were not an issue for us today, Ms N planned a surprise trip. After church this morning instead of going home, we drove up the world famous New Jersey Turnpike to New York (my second Babies’ Daddy Day up there in a row). This time, though. instead of the American Girl Store, I got to go somewhere a little more masculine.

We went to a Broadway musical!

The show was Spamalot, the updated and made-for-stage version of Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail. It was hilarious. While much of the best original material made it in unscathed, there were several improvements. For example, the mariachi llama intro was replaced by the Finland Fish-Schlapping Dance. They found a way to get the Black Knight scene on stage, we find out that what happens in Camelot, stays in Camelot, the Lady of the Lake (the watery tart who anoints kings by throwing swords at them) is quite the diva, and Lancelot … well, let’s just say they take his character in a whole new direction.

We had a great dinner at Chevy’s, a Mexican restaurant on 8th Avenue, and I was able to ponder some interesting new possibilities for hybrid cars on the ride back. Plus, we had the special privilege of sitting next to two children who reminded me how lucky I am to have the ones I do.

Thank you, Ms N, for a wonderful Father’s Day.

1 Comments:

Blogger DivineMsN said...

You are very welcome. I just wish we could do this more often!

And I'll never look at Lancelot the same again :)

6/19/2006 8:10 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home