jueves, mayo 26, 2005

Mathletes

Last night, Emily was presented an award by our town’s Bored of Education at their monthly meeting. She got the highest score of all the 5th graders in town on a math competition. The competition is statewide for all students sixth-grade and up, so next year the stakes get bigger.

She was all smiles getting her award and it made it onto the local access TV station. (The sixth graders got awards and trophies – like I said, the stakes are higher) After the ceremony, X and I took her to Friendly’s for ice cream. While waiting for our orders, we played the game where you take a large word and try to find how many smaller words can be made from its letters. The word I chose was MATHLETE. Emily (with X’s help) beat me – she (they) found over 30 while I got stumped after 28. Grrr! We all agreed, however, that I got the best word …

Latte.